International Students

CQU has a large international student population, and provides award-winning educational experiences to international students in Australia and off-shore in Hong Kong, Singapore and Sichuan Province and by distance education to anywhere in the world.

In Australia, CQU International provides a full range of support services to international students studying at CQU Rockhampton or Queensland regional campuses, or at its international campuses in Brisbane, Gold Coast, Sydney and Melbourne.

These services include:

Student Support Officers are also available to assist international students and their families to help with adjustment and integration with the Australian culture and university life; provide welfare assistance and support; and liaise with academic and other university staff to ensure the smooth progress of international students throughout their programs.

Application to Undergraduate Programs - International

International Students

If you are an international student, or a student who is not an Australian or New Zealand citizen or a permanent resident, you may study at CQU on a full-time basis. International students must pay the full cost of their tuition and support and meet all other associated expenses.

Students who remain in their home country are able to enrol in some programs as distance education students and would normally study on a part-time basis.

Students enrolled at our sites in Hong Kong, Singapore and China typically study part-time in supported distance mode.

Our international student fees are established under the guidelines of the Australian Government with all fees meeting the Department of Education, Science and Training's minimum requirements.

Please contact CQU International directly for further information regarding fees and admission Ph: 61 7 4930 9746 or Fax: 61 7 4930 9803.

Students wishing to apply must obtain and complete an Application for Admission form for full-fee international applicants (

The only exception to this procedure is any student undertaking Year 12 examinations in Queensland. In this instance, students are also able to apply directly as an international student through QTAC as Standard Admission applicants.

Enquiries and Applications

International students can direct enquiries about CQU programs to CQU International through their website or by email to .

Applications can also be accepted through the website or direct to the campus at which they wish to study. Applications should be directed to CQU Rockhampton for students wanting to study at Rockhampton, Gladstone, Bundaberg or Mackay. For students wishing to study at the Australian International Campuses, applications should be directed specifically to the Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Gold Coast or Fiji campus.

CQU offers numerous undergraduate and postgraduate programs to full fee-paying international students through the faculties of Business and Law; Informatics and Communication; Arts, Health and Sciences; Engineering and Physical Systems; and Education and Creative Arts.

CQU offers recognition of prior learning. CQU also has agreements with many institutions around the world to offer special articulation pathways to study at CQU. Please refer to

As a provider of international education, CQU is registered on the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS).

International students studying in Australia may only enrol in full-time programs that are registered with the government and display a CRICOS code.

English Language Proficiency Requirements for International Students

To be eligible for admission to CQU's degree programs, in addition to academic prerequisites, international applicants for all programs are required to have an acceptable level of competence in writing, reading, speaking and understanding English.

Students wishing to undertake undergraduate programs and postgraduate coursework are required to have an overall IELTS band score of 6 (with no individual band score of less than 5), or a TOEFL score of 550 (computer-based score of 213), including a TWE of 4.

Students wishing to undertake research higher degrees are required to have an overall IELTS band score of 6.5 (with no individual band score of less than 6). For further information visit

Exceptions to the above include those degree programs taught completely in English, which have built-in English language support and/or credit award courses specifically designed to improve students' level of English.

Other acceptable evidence of English competence includes:

Prospective students will be required to provide certified documentation to verify any of the above circumstances.

If you are unable to meet the above criteria, language centres in Rockhampton and Fiji can provide English language tuition. However, to provide a convenient service for you, CQU will refer students to ELICOS and Foundation programs offered by our educational partners in major Australian cities.

Any school aged dependants accompanying international students to Australia will be required to pay full fees if they are enrolled in either a government or non-government school. Some Australian Government and University scholarship holders are exempt from payment. This exemption may vary from state to state.

Teaching methods

A variety of teaching methods are employed in teaching programs, ranging from lectures and tutorials, study guides and resource materials, through to online courses. Specific details of the teaching methods relevant for each course will be provided in the respective course profile provided to students at the beginning of each term.

Due to the multi-campus nature of CQU, lectures and tutorials can be a mixture of face-to-face delivery or paper-based or online ie. computer-based learning or interactive system-wide learning i.e. interactive video presentations delivered from one of CQU's campuses.

Some courses may involve supervised off-campus work placements, which may be some distance from campus facilities.

Learning resources

Each course within a degree may have prescribed texts and/or reference/resource materials that students must purchase or have access to. Specific details for each course will be provided in the respective course profile. Other recommended reference/resource materials may be listed in the course profiles, but purchase of these materials may not be compulsory. The CQU Library at each CQU campus can provide access to required texts or resource material, however multiple copies are not usually held.

Facilities and equipment

Programs may be taught across a number of CQU campuses. Each campus is equipped with modern teaching facilities including air-conditioned lecture theatres, with overhead and/or data projection facilities. Depending on the course and campus, students may have access to audio-visual equipment (television, video player) and computer laboratories.


Assessment will include assignments or tasks (oral, written and/or practical) presented or submitted during term. There may also be class tests or formal examinations for courses offered within the program, or for courses taken with other faculties. Specific assessment details for each course will be provided in the respective course profiles.

Study by distance

For those courses, offered by distance education, study packages including course profiles are sent to students at the beginning of each term. These packages contain detailed information on the learning resources required eg. textbooks, the assessment methods used eg. assignments, and the contact details of teaching staff.

International students choosing to study with CQU in Australia must study full-time on-campus - this is a student visa requirement. If studying by distance education (outside of Australia), students have the choice of part-time or full-time enrolment. You may combine different study modes and locations to suit your particular work and family needs.

For some courses distance education students will need to attend residential schools held on-campus during the year. Information on residential schools is contained in the course profile for each course.


Students who wish to work part-time in Australia during the course of their studies, are required to apply to the Department of Immigration, Multicultural and Indigenous Affairs (DIMIA) for permission to work after arrival in Australia and commencement of full-time studies (current cost A$55). Students will then be entitled to seek employment for up to 20 hours per week during term time and full-time during vacations.

CQU staff can assist you in making application for your work permit.

It is important to remember that under the terms of your student visa you are required to have sufficient funds to cover the cost of your tuition fees and living expenses for the duration of your study program. Extra money earned from part-time employment should only be considered incidental and non-essential.

The Student Training and Employment Program is an innovative employment program for CQU students at the Australian International Campuses. The program assists international students to gain part-time employment. For further details, contact the CQU campuses in Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane and Gold Coast.

Undergraduate Admission

Entry to undergraduate programs is available to applicants who have successfully completed Year 12 or its equivalent. As a guide, two GCE 'A' level of D grade or above will meet basic entry requirements. These passing grades must meet individual program entry requirements.

It is important to note, however, that some programs require previous study in particular subject areas. For specific country undergraduate requirements please refer to the website

Postgraduate Admission

Entry to postgraduate programs is available to applicants who have successfully completed a bachelor degree, which is deemed to be equivalent to an Australian bachelor degree.

However, some programs require previous study in particular subject areas and relevant work experience of at least two years. For specific postgraduate requirements see the CQU Handbook at and for further assistance please contact CQU International Admissions.

Alternate Entry Options

CQU offers alternative entry options for undergraduate international students.

Alternate Undergraduate Pathways to CQU - CQU offers fully accredited ELICOS programs to enable students to commence studying on a pathway with CQU and then progress into a formal degree program upon successful completion.

Applicants who have successfully completed recognised Australian preparatory or foundation programs elsewhere will be admitted to CQU undergraduate degree programs subject to meeting required grades for specific programs.

CQU has many credit transfer arrangements with colleges, polytechnics, other higher education institutions and universities, which provide advanced standing in undergraduate and postgraduate programs (eg. Polytechnic Diploma holders in Singapore may gain up to 16 exemptions for some undergraduate programs) See for details.

Prospective students should submit full details of qualifications with application and seek advice from CQU, in-country representative or agent.

Please contact CQU International for more information on admission requirements and procedures.

International Student Application Forms are available by writing to:

CQU International

Central Queensland University

Rockhampton QLD 4702


or by downloading from

or through CQU International's website at or by emailing


Recognition of Prior Learning Exemptions/Credit Transfer

CQU recognises previous study, and may grant up to 50% of a program's requirements in credit transfer. If you have completed formal study (such as associate diploma/advanced diploma or bachelor degree program) at a recognised institution, you should contact the University to find out if you are able to claim exemptions for your previous study.

Can I transfer to another CQU campus?

International students wishing to apply for a Campus Transfer must contact their campus Student Administration section for advice, as any variation of enrolment will affect visa status.

Applications for Campus Transfers must be lodged prior to enrolment. No application will be accepted after the Friday prior to the commencement of term.

Campus Transfers will be dependent upon academic performance, place and course/program availability.

Please note that undergraduate international students, who have been successful in gaining Permanent Resident Status and wish to change campus and utilise the Higher Education Contribution Scheme must reapply for admission to their program. Campus Transfers do not apply in this instance. Applications for Readmission can be obtained by contacting the Undergraduate Admissions Officer at CQU Rockhampton.

Can I defer admission?

Yes, you can. CQU allows all students to commence in a later term following the successful offer of admission. However, you must contact the relevant campus to determine requirements.

What if I bring my family to Australia when I am studying?

Any school-aged dependents who accompany international students to Australia will be required to pay full fees if they are enrolled in either a government or non-government school. International students who are in receipt of full scholarships from the Australian Government, higher education institutions, or approved non-government organisations are exempt from payment of these fees for their dependent children. Contact the relevant state Department of Education for further information.

Students studying at off-shore locations (eg. Fiji) need to contact Student Administration at their campus to determine local requirements.

Student Visa Requirements

Who do I notify when I change my address?

If you have condition 8506 labelled in your visa, you must notify the Department of Immigration, Multicultural and Indigenous Affairs (DIMIA) and CQU at least two working days before you move to your new address. If you have condition 8533 labelled in your visa you must notify CQU within 7 days of moving to the new address.

Do I need to have Overseas Students Health Cover (OSHC)?

Yes, Government regulations state that it is compulsory for international students and their dependents to maintain adequate health insurance arrangements for the duration of their program. You are responsible for ensuring you have valid OSHC cover at all times. Further information is available on the Medibank website at

Can I change my program after I have enrolled at CQU?

Yes, subject to approval from the relevant faculty program advisor.

For students studying in Australia on a student visa - if your new program is shorter than the program for which the visa was granted, you do not need to apply for a new student visa. However, you will be required to depart Australia on completion of the program or notify DIMIA if you intend to complete further study. Your visa may be subject to cancellation if you do not leave Australia or notify the Department. If your new program will take longer to complete than the one for which your visa was granted, you must apply for a new visa before your existing visa expires. If you change the educational section (for example from a bachelor degree to a TAFE diploma) you will be required to submit a new visa application. CQU is obliged to notify DIMIA of any changes to your program details.

Can I change to another education institution within the first 12 months of my program?

If you have condition 8206 labelled in your visa, you must remain enrolled for at least 12 months of your program or the duration of the program if it is less than 12 months. This also applies to students undertaking packaged programs (a preliminary program followed by a principal program of study, for example an English language program followed by a Foundation Studies program). DIMIA will only approve a transfer in exceptional circumstances.

What is a full-time program of study?

International students on a Student Visa must be enrolled full-time throughout the duration of the program. Full-time is defined as 100% of a nominal full-time load.

Only in exceptional circumstances can international students enrol in less than 100% of a full-time load. This should be discussed with your International Student Support Officer at the relevant campus.

Can I apply for a Leave of Absence?

International students are NOT permitted to take a Leave of Absence except in the following exceptional circumstances:

Please note: any leave of more than six months, authorised on any grounds, may lead to mandatory cancellation of your visa. CQU International is obliged to inform DIMIA of all students undertaking a Leave of Absence.

How soon do I have to leave Australia if I cancel my program or my enrolment?

You have 28 working days to leave Australia. You must seek approval from DIMIA to stay in Australia after this time.

Am I permitted to remain in Australia for the duration of my student visa if I complete my program one or more terms before it expires?

No, you must leave the country within 28 working days of completion of your program. If you wish to stay longer you must seek approval from DIMIA. Please be aware that CQU International is obliged to notify DIMIA of your early completion.

What will it cost?

Study at university may not be as expensive as you think. Your main costs will be living expenses, stationery and textbooks, and this will vary depending on the campus at which you will be studying and the program in which you are enrolled.

Some programs will require additional equipment or materials such as safety glasses, laboratory coats, gym clothes or a uniform.


You will also need to take into account the cost of your tuition fees. Payment for these programs is due before enrolment. A list of tuition fees for full-fee-paying students is located on the CQU website at

Tuition fees range from A$10 800 - A$17 000 a year depending on the program, course selection and campus. Fees are based on a normal full-time study load. Students must be aware that tuition fees may increase annually.

Tuition fees for international students cover the cost of tuition and Student Association fees. Fees do not cover living costs, textbooks or Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC).

Living Expenses

As a general guide for living expenses, you should take into consideration the following amounts, in addition to your tuition fees. These amounts are based on a 12-month stay.

Costs will vary depending on lifestyle, preference, and location; for example regional cities, like Rockhampton, have lower associated costs of living than major cities.

Following are estimates for 2003/2004 and do not include the costs of large non-essential items such as luxury household equipment (television or car).

  Accom & Meals Textbooks & Stationery Transport (various options) Misc Total Costs
Rockhampton & CQ Campuses A$8 000 A$2 000 A$1 000 A$1 000 A$12 000
Fiji F$6 200 F$ 520 F$1 500 F$700 F$8 920
Sydney A$10 600 A$2 000 A$1 600 A$1 800 A$16 000
Melbourne A$9 500 A$2 000 A$1 600 A$1 800 A$14 900
Brisbane A$9 100 A$2 000 A$1 040 A$1 560 A$13 700
Gold Coast A$9 100 A$2 000 A$1 060 A$1 600 $13 760

Reporting on Students

The University is required to enter the enrolment of every student from overseas, studying at an Australian campus, into PRISMS, the reporting required via PRISMS is exception reporting .

This means that if the student:

The University has an obligation to report this via PRISMS. In these non-compliance cases, the PRISMS system will generate a 'non-compliance notice', which is sent to the student. A 'non-compliance' notice may result in the cancellation of the student visa.

Transfers to Other Institutions (International Students)

Department of Immigration, Multicultural and Indigenous Affairs (DIMIA) regulations state that international students are required to remain at the institution which originally recruited them for the first 12 months of their program, unless they have obtained permission from DIMIA to transfer.

CQU Language Centre Rockhampton

The Language Centre at CQU Rockhampton provides a range of support services and courses for international students.

The Language Centre offers two types of support free-of-charge to international students enrolled in degree programs.

The Language Centre also provides pathways for students who do not meet the prerequisites for acceptance into a CQU degree program.

In addition to assisting international students who are enrolled in or aspire to enrol in degree programs, the Language Centre offers courses for:


Ph: 61 7 4930 6422

Fax: 61 7 4930 6321


Student Exchange

CQU offers opportunities for domestic Australian undergraduate students to broaden their study experience by spending a term or a year of study overseas. CQU currently has Student Exchange Programs to Canada, Germany, Japan, Sweden and USA.

To be eligible for consideration to participate in an exchange program, students must be currently enrolled in a full-time on-campus undergraduate program at CQU. At the time of the exchange you must have successfully completed at least one year of full-time study at CQU or if you are a current external undergraduate student, you must have completed at least the equivalent of one year of full-time study. You must have full financial support to cover airfares and living expenses. You must have sound academic achievement.

During the exchange you will remain enrolled at CQU on a full-time basis. As an exchange student you will not be required to pay tuition fees directly to your exchange university. Your HECS contribution for the term/s of the exchange will cover the cost of your tuition whilst you are studying overseas. Austudy payments will continue as long as you study courses within your degree program.

For enquiries, contact the Coordinator, Recruitment & Client Relations, CQU International 07 4930 9724.

Study Abroad

Study Abroad at CQU provides international students with academic challenges, diverse cultural experiences and the opportunity for adventure and travel in an exciting and geographically unique country.

The experience obtained is dependent on the campus location chosen.

For example, situated in the northern tropics of Australia, CQU Rockhampton gives easy access to the famous Great Barrier Reef, while to the west, the Australian Outback provides a spectacular showcase of rural life and mining industries, combined with the natural beauty of national parks, Aboriginal art sites and the spectacular scenery of the great outdoors.

Entry to undergraduate Study Abroad courses are available to students who have successfully completed at least one year of full-time university study in their home country, with an acceptable minimum GPA e.g. USA - GPA 2.5.

Students who do not have English as a first language, or have not completed secondary or tertiary study via the medium of English, must also meet our English requirements, i.e. have an equivalent of an overall IELTS band score of 6 (with no individual band score of less than 5) OR a TOEFL score of 550, including a TWE score of 4 (computer based score of 213).

Before students arrive at CQU, coordination between the home university and the appropriate program advisor at CQU ensures that wherever possible, courses taken at CQU will be credited towards a degree program.

At the end of the Study Abroad program, students receive a Certificate of Completion. An official academic transcript is forwarded to the student's home university.

Innovative programs are offered across the five CQU faculties and provide opportunity to enrol in courses with similar home university content but with an Australian perspective.

Study Abroad services are available at CQU Rockhampton, Mackay, Bundaberg, Gladstone, Emerald, the Central Queensland Conservatorium of Music as well as at CQU's Australian International Campuses in Brisbane, Gold Coast, Melbourne and Sydney.

Enquiries and applications should be directed to:

Coordinator, Recruitment & Client Relations, CQU International.

Ph: 61 7 4930 9724

Fax: 61 7 4930 9803



Other Contacts:

International and domestic students at the Fiji International Campus are advised to contact the Manager, Student Administration on phone 679 3313 755, fax 679 3313 820 or email: for information on specific student services and facilities offered at the Suva, Fiji Campus.


CQU International Rockhampton

Ph: 61 7 4930 9746

Fax: 61 7 4930 9803


CQU Brisbane International Campus

Ph: 61 7 3295 1188

CQU Gold Coast International Campus

Ph: 61 7 5552 4988

CQU Melbourne International Campus

Ph: 61 3 8662 0555

CQU Sydney International Campus

Ph: 61 2 8295 5888

(CQU's CRICOS Provider Codes: QLD -00219C; NSW - 01315F; VIC - 01624D.)