Programs & Courses 2008
Student Handbook Home: Edition 1

International Students


CQUniversity has a large international student population and provides award-winning educational experiences to international students in Australia, and by distance education to anywhere in the world.

CQUniversity provides a full range of support services to international students studying at Rockhampton and Queensland regional campuses, and at its international campuses in Brisbane, Gold Coast, Melbourne and Sydney.

These services include:

  • enquiries and application processing;
  • reception and accommodation services;
  • specialised orientation programs;
  • enrolment, re-enrolment and e.rolment assistance;
  • Overseas Student Health Cover processing for new CQUniversity students; and
  • referrals to other services.

Student support officers are also available to assist international students and their families with adjustment and integration with the Australian culture and university life, provide welfare assistance and support and liaise with academic and other university staff.

Study at CQUniversity
If you are an international student, or a student who is not an Australian or New Zealand citizen or a permanent resident, you may study at CQUniversity on a full-time basis. International students must pay the full cost of their tuition and support and meet all other associated expenses.

Other overseas students are able to enrol in many programs as distance education students and would normally study on a part-time basis.

Our international student fees are established under the guidelines of the Australian Government with all fees meeting the Department of Education, Science and Training's minimum requirements. As a provider of international education, CQUniversity is registered on the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS). International students studying in Australia may only enrol in full-time programs that are registered with the government and display a CRICOS code.

For U.S. citizens, CQUniversity is a registered participant for Title IV Learning programs with the US Deptartment of Education.

CQUniversity welcomes AusAid applicants.

Enquiries and applications
International students can direct enquiries about CQUniversity programs through our website or by email to

Students wishing to apply must obtain and complete an Application for Admission form for full-fee international applicants ( and click on 'Apply to Study with CQUniversity').

The only exception to this procedure is any student undertaking year 12 examinations in Queensland. In this instance, students are also able to apply directly as an international student through QTAC as standard admission applicants.

Applications can also be accepted by the campus at which you wish to study. Applications should be directed to CQUniversity Rockhampton for students wanting to study at Bundaberg, Gladstone, Mackay or Rockhampton. For students wishing to study at the Australian International campuses, applications should be directed specifically to the Brisbane, Gold Coast, Melbourne or Sydney campus. Contact details provided below.

CQUniversity offers recognition of prior learning. CQUniversity also has agreements with many institutions around the world to offer special articulation pathways to study at CQUniversity. Please refer to

English language proficiency requirements

To be eligible for admission to CQUniversity's degree programs, in addition to academic prerequisites, international applicants for all programs are required to have an acceptable level of competence in writing, reading, speaking and understanding English. For further information visit and click on 'Apply to Study with CQUniversity'. Generally, students wishing to undertake undergraduate programs and postgraduate coursework are required to have an overall IELTS band score of 6.0 (with no individual band score of less than 5.0), or a TOEFL score of 550 (Internet-based score of 79 or computer-based score of 213), including a TWE of 4.

Students wishing to undertake research higher degrees are required to have an overall IELTS band score of 6.5 (with no individual band score of less than 6), or a TOEFL score of 600 (Internet-based score of 100 or computer-based score of 250), including a TWE of 5.

Undergraduate admission
Entry to undergraduate programs is available to applicants who have successfully completed year 12 or its equivalent. As a guide, two GCE 'A' levels of D grade or above will meet basic entry requirements. Individual program entry requirements may differ. It is important to note, however, that some programs require previous study in particular subject areas. For equivalent entry requirements for specific countries please refer to the website and click on 'Apply to Study with CQUniversity'.

Postgraduate admission
Entry to postgraduate programs is available to applicants who have successfully completed a bachelor degree, which is deemed to be equivalent to an Australian bachelor degree.

However, some programs require previous study in particular subject areas and relevant work experience of at least two years. For specific postgraduate requirements and for further assistance please contact CQUniversity Student Admissions or find further program information at

Alternate entry options
CQUniversity offers alternative entry options for undergraduate international students. Fully accredited ELICOS programs are offered to enable students to commence studying on a pathway with CQUniversity and then progress into a formal degree program upon successful completion along with meeting CQUniversity's academic requirements.

Applicants who have successfully completed recognised Australian preparatory or foundation programs elsewhere will be admitted to CQUniversity undergraduate degree programs subject to meeting required grades for specific programs.

CQUniversity recognises previous study, and may grant up to 50% of a program's requirements in recognition of prior learning. CQUniversity has many credit transfer arrangements with colleges, polytechnics, other higher education institutions and universities, which provide advanced standing in undergraduate and postgraduate programs (eg. Polytechnic Diploma holders in Singapore may gain up to 16 exemptions for some undergraduate programs) See for details.

Prospective students should submit full details of qualifications with application and seek advice from CQUniversity. Please contact CQUniversity Student Administration for more information on admission requirements and procedures.

International Student Application Forms are available by writing to:
CQUniversity Rockhampton
Student Contact Centre
Building 5
Bruce Highway
Rockhampton QLD 4702

or by downloading from and click on 'Apply to Study with CQUniversity'

or by emailing

How we teach
Teaching methods

A variety of teaching methods are employed in teaching programs, ranging from lectures and tutorials through to online courses. Specific details of the teaching methods relevant for each course will be provided in the respective course profile provided to students at the beginning of each term, along with study guides and resource materials for most courses.

Due to the multi-campus nature of CQUniversity, lectures and tutorials can be a mixture of face-to-face delivery, paper-based, online (ie. computer-based learning) or interactive system-wide learning (ie. interactive video presentations delivered from one of CQUniversity's campuses).

Some courses may involve supervised off-campus work placements, which may be some distance from campus facilities.

Learning resources
Each course within a degree may have prescribed texts and/or reference/ resource materials that students must purchase or have access to. Specific details for each course will be provided in the respective course profile. Other recommended reference/ resource materials may be listed in the course profiles, but purchase of these materials may not be compulsory. The CQUniversity Library at each campus can provide limited access to required texts or resource material, however multiple copies are not usually held.

Facilities and equipment
Programs may be taught across a number of CQUniversity campuses. Each campus is equipped with modern teaching facilities including air-conditioned lecture theatres with overhead and/or data projection facilities. Depending on the course and campus, students may have access to audio-visual equipment (television, video player) and computer laboratories.

Assessment will include assignments or tasks (oral, written and/or practical) presented or submitted during term. There may also be class tests or formal examinations for courses offered within the program, or for courses taken with other faculties. Specific assessment details for each course will be provided in the respective course profiles.

Study by distance
For those courses offered by distance education, study packages including course profiles are sent to students at the beginning of each term. These packages contain detailed information on the learning resources required eg. textbooks, the assessment methods used (eg. assignments) and the contact details of teaching staff.

For some courses distance education students will need to attend residential schools held on-campus during the year. Information on residential schools is contained in the course profile for each course.

Students who wish to work part-time in Australia during the course of their studies are required to apply to the Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC) for permission to work after arrival in Australia and commencement of full-time studies. Students will then be entitled to seek employment for up to 20 hours per week during term time and full-time during vacations.

CQUniversity staff can assist you in making application for your work permit. It is important to remember that under the terms of your student visa you are required to have sufficient funds to cover the cost of your tuition fees and living expenses for the duration of your study program. Extra money earned from part-time employment should only be considered incidental and non-essential.

Training, Employment, Career Counselling (TECC) is an innovative employment program for CQUniversity students at the Australian International Campuses. The program assists international students to gain part-time employment. For further details, contact the CQUniversity campuses directly.

Frequently asked questions
Can I transfer to another CQUniversity campus?
International students wishing to apply for a campus transfer must contact their campus Student Administration section for advice, as any variation of enrolment will affect visa status. Applications for campus transfers must be lodged prior to enrolment. No application will be accepted after the Friday prior to the commencement of term. Terms and conditions apply.

Campus transfers will be dependent upon academic performance, place and course/program availability. Please note that undergraduate international students, who have been successful in gaining permanent resident status and wish to change campus and utilise the Higher Education Contribution Scheme must reapply for admission to their program. Campus transfers do not apply in this instance. Applications for readmission can be obtained by contacting the Undergraduate Admissions Officer at CQUniversity Rockhampton.

Can I defer admission?
Yes, you can. CQUniversity allows all students to commence in a later term following the successful offer of admission. However, you must contact the relevant campus to determine requirements.

What if I bring my family to Australia when I am studying?

Any school-aged dependents who accompany international students to Australia will be required to pay full fees if they are enrolled in either a government or non-government school. International students who are in receipt of full scholarships from the Australian Government, higher education institutions, or approved non-government organisations are exempt from payment of these fees for their dependent children. Contact the relevant state Department of Education for further information.

Student visa requirements
Who do I notify when I change my address?

If you have condition 8506 labelled in your visa, you must notify the Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC) and CQUniversity at least two working days before you move to your new address. If you have condition 8533 labelled in your visa you must notify CQUniversity within seven days of moving to the new address.

Do I need to have Overseas Students Health Cover (OSHC)?
Yes, government regulations state that it is compulsory for international students and their dependents to maintain adequate health insurance arrangements for the duration of their program. You are responsible for ensuring you have valid OSHC cover at all times. Further information is available on the Medibank website at

Can I change my program after I have enrolled at CQUniversity?

Yes, subject to approval from the relevant faculty program advisor. For students studying in Australia on a student visa - if your new program is shorter than the program for which the visa was granted, you do not need to apply for a new student visa. However, you will be required to depart Australia on completion of the program or notify DIAC if you intend to complete further study. Your visa may be subject to cancellation if you do not leave Australia or notify the Department. If your new program will take longer to complete than the one for which your visa was granted, you must apply for a new visa before your existing visa expires. If you change the educational section (for example from a bachelor degree to a TAFE diploma) you will be required to submit a new visa application. CQUniversity is obliged to notify DIAC of any changes to your program details.

Can I change to another educational institution within the first 12 months of my program?

If you have condition 8206 labelled in your visa, you must remain enrolled for at least six months of your program. This also applies to students undertaking packaged programs (a preliminary program followed by a principal program of study, for example an English language program followed by a Foundation Studies program). DIAC will only approve a transfer in exceptional circumstances.

What is a full-time program of study?
International students on a student visa must be enrolled full-time throughout the duration of the program. Full-time is defined as 100% of a nominal full-time load. Only in exceptional circumstances can international students enrol in less than 100% of a full-time load. This should be discussed with your international student support officer at the relevant campus.

Can I apply for a leave of absence?

International students are not permitted to take a leave of absence except in the following exceptional circumstances:

  • illness evidence by a doctor's certificate; or
  • exceptional compassionate circumstances, for example bereavement (death in the family).

Please note: any leave of more than six months, authorised on any grounds, may lead to mandatory cancellation of your visa. CQUniversity is obliged to inform DIAC of all students undertaking a leave of absence.

How soon do I have to leave Australia if I cancel my program or my enrolment?

You have 28 working days to leave Australia. You must seek approval from DIAC to stay in Australia after this time.

Am I permitted to remain in Australia for the duration of my student visa if I complete my program one or more terms before it expires?

No, you must leave the country within 28 working days of completion of your program. If you wish to stay longer you must seek approval from DIAC. Please be aware that CQUniversity is obliged to notify DIAC of your early completion.

You will also need to take into account the cost of your tuition fees. Payment for these programs is due before enrolment. A list of tuition fees for full-fee-paying students is located on the CQUniversity website at and click on 'Fees, Scholarships, Costs & Refund Policy'.

Tuition fees vary depending on the program, course selection and campus. Fees are based on a normal full-time study load. Students must be aware that tuition fees may increase annually. Tuition fees for international students cover the cost of tuition fees. Fees do not cover living costs, textbooks or Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC).

In addition to your tuition fees, students should take into account other living costs. These will include accomodation, meals, textbooks, stationery, transport and other costs such as clothing and entertainment. Costs will vary depending on lifestyle preferences and location. Generally it is cheaper to live in a regional city compared to a major city because of the higher accommodation costs in larger cities.

Reporting on students
The University is required to enter the enrolment of every student from overseas studying at an Australian campus into PRISMS, a database reporting system for DIAC. The reporting required via PRISMS is exception reporting.

This means that if the student:

  • does not commence (ie. simply does not turn up, or has not arranged with the provider for a later start because of health or compassionate reasons); or
  • terminates their studies before program completion; or
  • changes their program or its duration; or
  • fails to comply with their visa conditions regarding attendance or academic performance;

the University has an obligation to report this via PRISMS. In these non-compliance cases, the PRISMS system will generate a 'non-compliance notice', which is sent to the student. A 'non-compliance' notice may result in the cancellation of the student visa.

Transfers to other institutions (international students)
Students intending to change education provider should contact their current education provider for information. In most circumstances the new education provider will be restricted from enrolling a student if they have not completed 6 months of their main course of study for which the visa was granted. See: Changing courses or education providers.

Student Contact Centre
Ph: +61 7
4923 2420
Fax: +61 7 4923 2100

Ph: +61 7 3295 1188

Gold Coast
Ph: +61 7 5552 4988

Ph: +61 3 8662 0555

Ph: +61 2 9324 5000



PRINT WARNING - Printed copies of this document or part thereof should not be relied upon as a current reference document. ALWAYS refer to the electronic copy for the latest version.