Study@CQU 2003



Admission Levels - General

Admission to most CQU programs is based on general academic achievement determined from formal educational attainment or from an assessment of experience, achievements and non-formal study. Certain programs require prerequisite knowledge. In particular circumstances, or in line with policies or initiatives of the University, other criteria may be taken into account in the determination of the Admission Level for the selection of students.

Admission to undergraduate programs offered by CQU is based on the admission level of applicants and limited by the targets, quotas or subquotas determined by the University.

Students may also be admitted to award programs under equity schemes, sponsorship or funding arrangements approved by the University.

The admission level is the basic measure of academic merit for tertiary admission purposes, as issued by the Queensland Studies Authority (QSA) or derived from approved schedules or other processes.

A schedule is a table or list of conversions which is accepted by the University for use in selection for admission.

Schedules include rules applying to their use, usually in the form of footnotes.

Applications for almost all undergraduate admission to CQU are processed by the Queensland Tertiary Admissions Centre (QTAC). Most schedules used by CQU are based on standard QTAC schedules.

The University uses two different formats of the admission level:

The numeric ranges of these formats of the admission level are:

Minimum admission requirements expressed within the Student Education Profile system or in ranks will be as determined by the University to achieve equitable admission arrangements among the various categories of applicants in accordance with University policy. Minimum admission requirements may vary for different categories or sub-categories of applicants as may be determined by the University.

Application to Undergraduate Programs - Domestic

All applicants for admission to undergraduate programs are regarded as first year students and must apply for a quota place.

Applicants seeking advanced standing (credit transfer) should apply for first year entry. Consideration of credit or exemption will only be given after the acceptance of a quota place.

There are two different types of QTAC application categories, each with two separate means of making an application:-

Applicants may list up to six program preferences on the QTAC application form. These must be listed in strict order of preference and should only include programs for which an applicant would accept an offer.

An offer is made for the highest preference program for which the applicant is eligible. The application is then no longer considered in that round of offers in respect of any program listed as a lower preference.

Applicants must meet the prerequisites for any program for which they apply.

Applications should be received at QTAC by the nominated closing date. Late applications must be accompanied by a non-refundable late fee.

QTAC compiles and publishes a comprehensive and informative guide on Queensland tertiary programs.

Some undergraduate programs may require applicants to provide additional information or conduct an interview/audition.

Those wishing to apply for the Central Queensland Conservatorium of Music need to apply to QTAC and the Conservatorium by the last Friday in September of the year preceding entry. Application forms for the Conservatorium may be obtained by calling 07 4940 7800.

Admission Criteria (QTAC) - Domestic

An applicant may apply for a quota place in a program of study on the basis of one or more of the following criteria.

Standard Admission (Queensland School Leavers - Overall Position Eligible)

The Admission Level for applicants who complete Queensland Year 12 by full-time schooling in 1992 and afterwards will be based on the Student Education Profile issued by TEPA. The Student Education Profile will consist of an Overall Position (OP) and Field Positions (FP) in some of the fields A, B, C, D or E.


Step 1: Applicants who have satisfied the stated prerequisites and have obtained an OP band will be considered in order of OP band, band 1 (the highest) being considered before band 2, down to the absolute/designated cut-off band/score.

Step 2: All qualified applicants in each OP band above that required to fill the quota will be offered places.

Standard Admission (Queensland School Leavers - Overall Position Ineligible)

Vocational Education and Training (VET) in Schools.

Central Queensland University is supportive of the Vocational Education and Training (VET) in Schools concept in place within Queensland Secondary Schools. Students undertake VET subjects embedded in Authority (formerly Board) subjects which are reported on their Senior Certificate and included in OP calculations and issued on the Tertiary Entrance Statement. Where students undertake VET subjects as either Authority registered (formerly Board-registered) subjects, or as stand alone VET, these students may not be eligible to receive a Tertiary Entrance Statement, and therefore an OP will not be calculated.

However, students who do not receive an OP, may still be eligible to gain a place in some tertiary programs on the basis of their achievements in all subjects reported on the Senior Certificate (provided that they have studied any prerequisite Authority subjects and achieved the level specified), and if available their result in the Queensland Core Skills Test (QCST). These students may be assigned a rank based on schedules developed by QTAC. Such students are strongly encouraged to contact QTAC for further information.

Standard Admission (Queensland Previous School Leavers)

This refers to applicants who completed Year 12 as full-time secondary school students in Queensland other than in the most recent school year, or who have completed the requirements for part-time, external senior examination candidates.

The Admission Level is based on results provided by QSA, or the relevant schedules as may be appropriate. In the case of TE Scores issued by QSA, the Rank is determined by deleting the last digit of the TE Score (e.g. TE Scores 915 and 910 translate to Rank 91).

Standard Admission (Combined Mode)

This category applies to applicants who have completed Year 12 as full-time secondary school students in Queensland and obtained QSA results, and who have, additionally, successfully completed one or more external senior courses, the Admission Level is based on the relevant Schedule.

Standard Admission (Interstate School Leavers)

This category is for applicants who have completed programs of secondary study in a State or Territory of Australia other than Queensland and who seek admission on the basis of achievement at secondary school.

The Admission Level is based on the relevant QTAC Schedule for the year, state or territory in which study was completed.

Standard Admission (Australian Tertiary Achievement)

This category applies to applicants who have attempted or completed, and are not currently excluded from, programs of study at an Australian tertiary institution.

The Admission Level is based on the relevant Schedule. The section entitled “Exclusion Cases” in this handbook refers to applicants who have been previously excluded from any tertiary institution or tertiary program of study.

Standard Admission (Overseas Qualification)

Applicants in this sub-category are Australian or New Zealand citizens or persons holding permanent resident status in Australia, who have completed programs of secondary or tertiary studies overseas to the appropriate standard, based on the Admission Level given by the relevant schedules. Advice on these schedules is available from the University.

Applicants must also demonstrate that they have a satisfactory command of the English language to enable them to pursue the program of study to which admission is sought. English language test results or other relevant documentation should be submitted with the application.

Non-School Leavers

The University recognises that preparation for tertiary study is not restricted to formal educational attainment and that prospective students may have valuable skills which have been gained through wide ranging “life” and work experiences.

CQU welcomes applications from persons of at least 18 years of age, who do not have formal qualifications for entry, but who seek admission to programs on the basis of their educational and skills developed through experience and informal study.

Admission may be sought on the grounds of academic, occupational, learned or other achievement or on the grounds of personal aptitude for study.

Each case is considered on its merit and the admission level is determined on the basis of evidence of achievement and of the candidate’s interest in, and capacity to work in, the broad field of study to which admission is sought.

Admission is restricted to applicants who:

Applicants may include those who:

In many cases, the admission level will be determined on the basis of multiple, combined or accumulative criteria, taking account of the applicants’ profiles.

Admission levels for such applicants are determined on the basis of an appropriate schedule, guidelines or, where necessary, through the exercise of discretion by the University.

Alternative Criteria

Admission under this criteria provides for factors other than formally recognised educational attainment to be taken into account to determine applicants’ admission levels.

Admissions within this category may include:

In determining the admission levels for these applicants, additional information which may be considered includes:

Admission by Direct Application

Students will apply directly to the University in the following cases:

Some CQU undergraduate programs are direct entry due to their industry associations. Method of application is described under each program in this handbook. Application forms are available by phoning the Program Enquiry Hotline on 1300 360 444. An online application form is available for new postgraduate and direct entry applicants as well as students seeking readmission. Go to the CQU website at Cross-institutional, Single Non-Award and School-links Non-Award Program applicants are not permitted to apply online.

Application to Undergraduate Programs - International

International Students

If you are an international student, or a student who is not an Australian or New Zealand citizen or a permanent resident, you may study at CQU on a full-fee-paying basis.

Enquiries and Applications

International students can direct enquiries about CQU programs to CQU International through their website or by email to

Applications can also be accepted through the website. Students may also apply directly to the particular CQU campus. Applications should be directed to CQU Rockhampton for students wanting to study at Rockhampton, Gladstone, Bundaberg or Mackay. For students wishing to study at the Australian International Campuses, applications should be directed to either the Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Gold Coast or Fiji campus.

CQU offers numerous undergraduate and postgraduate programs to full-fee-paying international students through the faculties of Business and Law; Informatics and Communication; Arts, Health and Sciences; Engineering and Physical Systems; and Education and Creative Arts.

CQU also offers specific courses that can be accredited to a study program in your home country. Coordination between your home university and the Coordinator, Study Abroad and Exchanges at CQU International, prior to departure will ensure that wherever possible, courses taken at CQU will be credited towards a degree program from your home university. A Study Abroad Prospectus is available from the Coordinator on telephone 07 4930 9724, fax 07 4930 9803 or email

As a provider of international education, CQU must be registered with the Federal and State governments. Both the University and its programs must be registered on the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS).

International students studying in Australia may only enrol in full-time programs that are registered with the government and display a CRICOS code.

(CQU’s CRICOS Provider Codes: QLD -00219C; NSW - 01315F; VIC: 01624D.)


Students who wish to work part-time in Australia during the course of their studies, are required to apply to the Department of Immigration, Multicultural and Indigenous Affairs (DIMIA) for permission to work after arrival in Australia and commencement of full-time studies (current cost A$55). Students will then be entitled to seek employment for up to 20 hours per week during term time and full-time during vacations.

CQU staff can assist you in making application for your work permit.

It is important to remember that under the terms of your student visa you are required to have sufficient funds to cover the cost of your tuition fees and living expenses for the duration of your study program. Extra money earned from part-time employment should only be considered incidental and non-essential.

The Student Training and Employment Program is an innovative employment program for CQU students at the Australian International Campuses. The program assists international students to gain part-time employment. For further details, contact the CQU campuses in Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane and Gold Coast.

Undergraduate Admission

Entry to undergraduate programs is available to applicants who have successfully completed Year 12 or its equivalent. As a guide, two GCE ‘A’ level of D grade or above will meet basic entry requirements. These passing grades must meet individual program entry requirements.

It is important to note, however, that some programs require previous study in particular subject areas. For specific country undergraduate requirements please refer to the website

Alternate Entry Options

CQU offers alternative entry options for undergraduate international students.

Alternate Undergraduate Pathways to CQU - CQU offers fully accredited ELICOS programs to enable students to commence studying on a pathway with CQU and then progress into a formal degree program upon successful completion.

Applicants who have successfully completed recognised Australian preparatory or foundation programs elsewhere will be admitted to CQU undergraduate degree programs subject to meeting required grades for specific programs.

CQU has many credit transfer arrangements with colleges, polytechnics, other higher education institutions and universities, which provide advanced standing in undergraduate and postgraduate programs (eg. Polytechnic Diploma holders in Singapore may gain up to 16 exemptions for some undergraduate programs).

Prospective students should submit full details of qualifications with application and seek advice from CQU, in-country representative or agent.

Please contact CQU International for more information on admission requirements and procedures.

International Student Application Forms are available by writing to:

CQU International
Central Queensland University
Rockhampton QLD 4702

or through CQU International’s website at or by emailing


Recognition of Prior Learning Exemptions/Credit Transfer

CQU recognises previous study, and may grant up to 50% of a program’s requirements in credit transfer. If you have completed formal study (such as associate diploma/advanced diploma or bachelor degree program) at a recognised institution, you should contact the University to find out if you are able to claim exemptions for your previous study.

Can I transfer to another CQU campus?

Yes, you can. You may apply directly to the campus at which you are enrolled if you wish to change the campus at which you are enrolled for the next term. However, campus transfers will be dependent upon academic performance, place and course/program availability. International students must have successfully completed at least one year’s study.

Please note that undergraduate international students, who have been successful in gaining Permanent Resident Status and wish to change campus and utilise the Higher Education Contribution Scheme, must reapply for admission to their program. Campus Transfers do not apply in this instance. Applications for readmission can be obtained by contacting the Undergraduate Admissions Officer at CQU Rockhampton.

Can I defer admission?

Yes, you can. CQU allows all students to commence in a later term following the successful offer of admission. However, you must contact the relevant campus to determine requirements.

What if I bring my family to Australia when I am studying?

Any school-aged dependents who accompany international students to Australia will be required to pay full fees if they are enrolled in either a government or non-government school. International students who are in receipt of full scholarships from the Australian Government, higher education institutions, or approved non-government organisations are exempt from payment of these fees for their dependent children. Contact the relevant state Department of Education for further information.

Students studying at off-shore locations (eg. Fiji) need to contact Student Administration at their campus to determine local requirements.

Student Visa Requirements

Who do I notify when I change my address?

If you have condition 8506 labelled in your visa, you must notify the Department of Immigration, Multicultural and Indigenous Affairs (DIMIA) and CQU at least two working days before you move to your new address. If you have condition 8533 labelled in your visa you must notify CQU within 7 days of moving to the new address.

Do I need to have Overseas Students Health Cover (OSHC)?

Yes, Government regulations state that it is compulsory for international students and their dependents to maintain adequate health insurance arrangements for the duration of their program. You are responsible for ensuring you have valid OSHC cover at all times. Further information is available on the Medibank website at

Can I change my program after I have enrolled at CQU?

Yes, subject to approval from the relevant faculty program advisor.

For students studying in Australia on a student visa - if your new program is shorter than the program for which the visa was granted, you do not need to apply for a new student visa. However, you will be required to depart Australia on completion of the program or notify DIMIA if you intend to complete further study. Your visa may be subject to cancellation if you do not leave Australia or notify the Department. If your new program will take longer to complete than the one for which your visa was granted, you must apply for a new visa before your existing visa expires. If you change the educational section (for example from a bachelor degree to a TAFE diploma) you will be required to submit a new visa application. CQU is obliged to notify DIMIA of any changes to your program details.

Can I change to another education institution within the first 12 months of my program?

If you have condition 8206 labelled in your visa, you must remain enrolled for at least 12 months of your program or the duration of the program if it is less than 12 months. This also applies to students undertaking packaged programs (a preliminary program followed by a principal program of study, for example an English language program followed by a Foundation Studies program). DIMIA will only approve a transfer in exceptional circumstances.

What is a full-time program of study?

International students on a Student Visa must be enrolled full-time throughout the duration of the program. Full-time is defined as 100% of a nominal full-time load.

Only in exceptional circumstances can international students enrol in less than 100% of a full-time load. This should be discussed with your International Student Support Officer at the relevant campus.

Can I apply for a Leave of Absence?

International students are NOT permitted to take a Leave of Absence except in the following exceptional circumstances:

Please note: any leave of more than six months, authorised on any grounds, may lead to mandatory cancellation of your visa. CQU International is obliged to inform DIMIA of all students undertaking a Leave of Absence.

How soon do I have to leave Australia if I cancel my program or my enrolment?

You have 28 working days to leave Australia. You must seek approval from DIMIA to stay in Australia after this time.

Am I permitted to remain in Australia for the duration of my student visa if I complete my program one or more terms before it expires?

No, you must leave the country within 28 working days of completion of your program. If you wish to stay longer you must seek approval from DIMIA. Please be aware that CQU International is obliged to notify DIMIA of your early completion.

What will it cost?

Study at university may not be as expensive as you think. Your main costs will be living expenses, stationery and textbooks, and this will vary depending on the campus at which you will be studying and the program in which you are enrolled.

Some programs will require additional equipment or materials such as safety glasses, laboratory coats, gym clothes or a uniform.


You will also need to take into account the cost of your tuition fees. Payment for these programs is due before enrolment. A list of tuition fees for full-fee-paying students is located on the CQU website at

Tuition fees range from A$10 800 - A$17 000 a year depending on the program, course selection and campus. Fees are based on a normal full-time study load. Students must be aware that tuition fees may increase annually.

Tuition fees for international students cover the cost of tuition and Student Association fees. Fees do not cover living costs, textbooks or Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC).

Living Expenses

As a general guide for living expenses, you should take into consideration the following amounts, in addition to your tuition fees. These amounts are based on a 12-month stay.

Costs will vary depending on lifestyle, preference, and location; for example regional cities, like Rockhampton, have lower associated costs of living than major cities.

Following are estimates for 2003/2004 and do not include the costs of large non-essential items such as luxury household equipment (television or car).

  Accom & Meals Textbooks & Stationery Transport (various options) Misc Total Costs
Rockhampton & CQ Campuses A$8 000 A$2 000 A$1 000 A$1 000 A$12 000
Fiji F$6 200 F$ 520 F$1 500 F$700 F$8 920
Sydney A$10 600 A$2 000 A$1 600 A$1 800 A$16 000
Melbourne A$9 500 A$2 000 A$1 600 A$1 800 A$14 900
Brisbane A$9 100 A$2 000 A$1 040 A$1 560 A$13 700
Gold Coast A$9 100 A$2 000 A$1 060 A$1 600 A$13 760

Reporting on Students

The University is required to enter the enrolment of every student from overseas, studying at an Australian campus, into PRISMS, the reporting required via PRISMS is exception reporting .

This means that if the student:

The University has an obligation to report this via PRISMS. In these non-compliance cases, the PRISMS system will generate a ‘non-compliance notice’ which is sent to the student. A ‘non-compliance’ notice may result in the cancellation of the student visa.

Teaching/Delivery Mode of Study

Due to the multi-campus nature of CQU, lectures and tutorials can be a mixture of face-to-face delivery, paper-based or online ie. computer-based learning or interactive system-wide learning (interactive video presentations delivered from one of CQU’s campuses).

Some courses may involve supervised off-campus work placements which may be some distance from campus facilities.

Postgraduate Admission

Research Higher Degrees

Applications for admission to the degree of Doctor of Philosophy, Doctor of Education or the Masters Degree by Research may be submitted at any time of the year on an application form obtained from the Office of Research (Ph: 07 4923 2607 Fax: 07 4923 2600). Intending Applicants are advised to discuss their research proposal in the first instance with the Associate Dean (Research) responsible for their area of interest.

* Applications for The Professional Doctorate should also be submitted to this office. Information and an application form can be obtained by calling 07 4923 2570.

Postgraduate Programs

The University offers a wide array of postgraduate programs. All applications for postgraduate study are made directly to CQU. Information on application procedures for postgraduate certificates, diplomas, and masters programs may be obtained from the Postgraduate Admissions Office, Student Administration.

Information on application procedures may be obtained directly from the Postgraduate Admissions Office, Student Administration.

CQU CRICOS Provider Codes: QLD - 00219C; NSW - 01315F; VIC - 01624D

This handbook was correct as at: 16-06-2003

Handbook Disclaimer