CQU logo CQU homeCQU azCQU enquiries
CQU handbook
[Previous]  [Table of Contents]


Enrolment - General Information


Important Notice to Students

CQU will be implementing a new student system on the 9 July 2001. The purpose of implementing this new system is to improve the level of service provided to our students. To achieve these improvements there will be significant changes to enrolment processes. The details of these changes are still being finalised and therefore it is important to note that over the next 12 month period there will be some revision to information contained in this Handbook. During this transition phase, it is recommended that students refer to information under 'e.rolment' on the CQU Web Page at http://www.cqu.edu.au or Version 2 of the 2001 CQU Enrolment Guide for current information and instructions on how to enrol.


General Information

Upon acceptance into a program, students will be forwarded enrolment forms and associated information. These forms must be completed by the student to advise the University of their program for the forthcoming year or term.

Enrolment advice letters are then sent to students confirming enrolment in courses, examination centre, and SATURN pin number.

Each student is responsible for ensuring they are correctly enrolled in the courses necessary for completion of the appropriate year or term of
their program.

During orientation, some on-campus students will be required to attend an interview with their
program advisor.

International students are advised to contact CQU directly regarding specific enrolment procedures.


Students wishing to enrol in a higher level program may be granted credit for studies undertaken in a lower level program in the same study discipline. For example, a student who has completed an Advanced Diploma of Engineering and wishes to upgrade to the three year Bachelor of Engineering Technology will be granted up to three terms credit towards the higher award. All credit for previous studies must be approved by the relevant Faculty.

Under the Memorandum of Understanding with the Rockhampton College of TAFE and other TAFE colleges, students who have completed studies at associate diploma level may be granted credit for up to one year’s full-time study in a degree level program. Students seeking further information with regard to the articulation policy of their Faculty should consult their program advisors.

Change of Name or Address

Students are required to notify the Manager, Student Records (Student Administration) in writing of any change in their name or address as soon as possible. Failure to notify the University of such changes could lead to important correspondence or program information not reaching the student. All students must ensure the Manager, Student Records, has been notified of any change of address during vacation periods. CQU does not accept responsibility for any official communication which fails to reach a student who has not notified Student Administration of a change of address.

Students who change their name while undertaking a program or prior to graduation (for example, by marriage) and who wish to have their student record amended, should write to the Manager, Student Records, providing a specimen of their former and current signatures. Students are requested to supply, where possible, certified documentary evidence, such as a copy of a marriage certificate.

Credit for Previous Studies (Credit Transfer)

Applicants who have previously or partially completed studies towards a recognised tertiary qualification may apply for credit towards a CQU award program. Credit is normally granted only for courses and programs successfully completed in the last 10 years at a recognised tertiary institution, including a college of advanced education, TAFE college (at the level of associate diploma or above), or, if deemed appropriate by a Faculty, under the auspices of a recognised professional body.

An application for credit should not be made until the applicant has received and accepted a formal offer of a place from QTAC or the University. Applicants are welcome to make enquiries in advance about the amount of credit to be awarded and the nature of the resultant study program.

Applicants seeking credit should submit to the Manager, Student Records (Student Administration), an Application for Credit Transfer, indicating the course(s) for which credit is sought.

Decisions on Credit Transfer for courses or specified electives are to be made by the Faculty Education Committee controlling the program only with the approval of the Faculty Education Committee responsible for teaching the courses.

The normal maximum amount of credit which may be granted to a prospective student enrolling into a CQU award program shall be 50 per cent of the requirements for their program, and shall be based on previously successfully completed equivalent studies.

Recommendations on Credit Transfer which are in excess of these guidelines must be referred to the Faculty Education Committee on a case by case basis, unless previous articulation arrangements have been approved by the Faculty Education Committee with the institution at which the program of study has been successfully completed.

It is the responsibility of the student applying for credit to submit, when seeking enrolment or an enrolment variation:

  • verified transcript(s) of past academic record(s) indicating the course(s) completed, year completed and grade obtained (including details of the grading system), and weighting of the course as a portion of the total program;
  • a copy of the course description, including the syllabus or handbook outline; and
  • any other information required by the Faculty Dean or Vice-President (Administration) and any other information considered relevant by the student. CQU accepts no responsibility for obtaining such documentation from other institutions.

For programs of duration of two years equivalent full-time study, or greater, the student must complete at least one year of full-time study equivalent within the CQU program to be eligible to take out an award from Central Queensland University.

Applications for Credit Transfer will not be considered or approved after 31 March for Autumn Term courses and 31 August for Winter Term courses.

Dropping/Adding Courses

Students will be responsible for dropping courses in which they are enrolled or add/swapping courses by going on-line at any time before the final dates for such enrolment changes, which are shown in the Calendar of Principal Dates.

No student shall be permitted to sit for, nor be entitled to receive a grade for, examinations or assessment in courses for which they are not enrolled.

Courses dropped after the specified final date will incur an academic penalty and the result of “Withdrawn Fail” (WF).

Students should be aware any amendments to their enrolments will be reflected in their HECS liability. HECS fees cannot be refunded if a course is dropped after 31 March for Autumn Term courses or 31 August for Winter Term courses. (Note: HECS will have already been incurred for the Winter Term.)

Students dropping courses at any time in the year should check with AUSTUDY/ABSTUDY to ensure that these changes do not affect AUSTUDY/ABSTUDY/Youth Allowance entitlements.

Student Identity Cards

All students are issued with an identity card which should be carried during attendance at CQU and shown on request. The card must be presented when borrowing books from the Library, and/or sitting for examinations.

All student ID Cards will be mailed out.

Student Identification cards are issued for CQU purposes only and should not be lent and may not be transferred.

Any student who loses their identity card should pay a replacement charge through Student Administration who will issue a replacement card.

All student identity cards will reflect a student’s workload at time issue for that term. If student initiated changes have been made to the enrolment and a replacement identity card is required to show this revised workload, the student will be responsible for the cost of a replacement card.

Students should note the student number on the card, which should be quoted in all correspondence with CQU.

Central Queensland University Handbook
This handbook was correct as at: 07-June-2001

CQU homeCQU azCQU enquiries